In Memoriam - Rick A. Richards • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine

In Memoriam – Rick A. Richards

Buy Us A Coffee

Four years ago, I took over ownership of Northwest Indiana Business Quarterly, and what a huge decision this was!  My expertise was creating niche publications statewide as a former advertising sales associate for Indiana Business Magazine.  In creating the quarterly, 22 years ago, I never thought I would be a small business owner in publishing.  But here I am, much older but still very much connected to the region our magazine serves, the Northwest Indiana business community. Why we continue to be successful is because of dedicated team members and especially talented writers like Rick Richards.

Rick Richards
Rick A. Richards

For many years, I knew Rick only in the capacity of one of our regular writers for Indiana Business Magazine. But after I took over as publisher of NWIBQ, he became indispensible in guiding me through unknown waters. He was a great editor, a supportive colleague and mentor. He was like a business partner to me.  He was honest and trustworthy. We shared the same professional ethics. He was my confidant.  If there was something I wasn’t getting on a broader perspective about a topic or issue, Rick would bring me into focus.  He often said, “What is the angle for this story?” He just knew how to do his job and did it very well.

A couple of years ago, while on business here in the region, I got a call from Rick who informed me he was in the hospital recovering from a heart attack.  I was in shock— realizing what a major event this was— but thrilled he was fortunately going to be okay. At that moment, as I focused on Rick’s character traits and outstanding qualities as a human being, not primarily on his superior business acumen, it dawned on me then, who, if anyone, could take Rick’s place? The answer, of course, was no one.

During these past couple of years, Rick was a changed man.  He was eating healthier, working out at the gym and walking, too. He was determined to stay fit and lose more weight. I kept reminding him to take it easy, don’t over extend yourself.  When Rick was under stress, I would also encourage him to take it easy. He often ended our telephone conversations saying, take it easy.

Rick was a family man, very involved with his church, St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception and his community in Michigan City.  I remember having a few telephone conversations with Rick working on magazine articles while he was volunteering for the homeless shelter.  He would often comment on how proud he was of his daughters—Meredith, and her involvement with gymnastics, and his oldest, Erika, who recently graduated from college and is working in the nursing field in Evansville.

I remember the conversation we had when Rick decided to take the full-time editor’s position at Lakeshore Public Television.  He was absolutely thrilled with this opportunity, but thankfully, continued as our contributing business editor, on a freelance basis. That was comforting news but very short-lived.

In a more recent conversation, Rick and I talked about the sports assignment for our upcoming summer issue.  This is on the Indiana Fever and I think the best sports story he has written in our current magazine.  He wanted to get me on the evening news, to share this incredible success story about our magazine and our stories, the next time I was in town.  He also said he was starting to do some news reporting saying he was a bit nervous, didn’t think his delivery was that great but he would work to get better at it. Since I also do broadcasting work here in Indy for Emmis Communications, I suggested he send me a segment to view.

That was the last conversation I had with Rick.

When I got the call from Rick’s wife, Mary Ann, that Rick had suffered a heart attack, after successfully competing in an obstacle course event, my initial response was disbelief and shock.  What was he thinking?  Mary Ann said the night before the competition she asked, “Rick are you sure you want to go through with this?” Knowing Rick, his decision to participate in this NWI “Mudathlon” would not be easily changed. He obviously felt confident and healthy enough to go through with it. Oh how I wish he changed his mind!

In my reflection and trying to process the “tragic” loss of Rick Richards, I realize that Rick lived a life of service and compassion, especially for those less fortunate.  He was committed and gave a 100% on the job as my editor and beyond.  Rick taught me to be more objective, to accept what is and move on. And to take time for what really matters the most in living such as your family, service to your community and fellowship with friends.

Rick, I will miss you.  You were a great magazine colleague and friend.  My thoughts and prayers are now with his wife, Mary Ann, and daughters, Meredith and Erika.

Glee Renick- May, Publisher

For those who wish to read more on articles written by Rick, please click on archives.

Author

Scroll to Top