NIPSCO is assisting customers facing hardship during the pandemic who are having difficulty paying for natural gas and electrical service.
With the statewide moratorium on disconnecting electric and natural gas service during the pandemic scheduled to end Aug. 14, the Merrillville-based utility said it will provide flexible payment plan and other options to assist customers.
NIPSCO voluntarily suspended late payment charges and shutoffs for nonpayment in response to the pandemic for all customers in early March, prior to the moratorium. The company said the number of customers who are behind on their utility payments is less than last year at this time, however, the amount owed by some customers has accumulated.
“For those who may still be facing financial hardships due to COVID-19 or other reasons, assistance is available now and after the moratorium, to help them manage their energy bills,” said Nick Meyer, a company spokesman.
NIPSCO has the following options for customers:
- Payment agreement: Flexible payment arrangements are available to customers to spread their past due balance over six months by paying a portion of their past due balance, plus current charges incurred. Additional information is available at NIPSCO.com/paymentplans.
- Partial payment plans: Customers make smaller payments. Customers can visit myaccount.nipsco.com to review available payment plans or call 800-464-7726.
- Local, state and federal assistance: Customers directly impacted by COVID-19-telated job loss or hardship, can visit NIPSCO.com/Assistance to find local and federal resources that may help, including the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
NIPSCO serves approximately 810,000 natural gas and 460,000 electric customers across 32 counties in Northern Indiana.
- Valparaiso hospital Northwest Health – Porter earns state designations - October 20, 2020
- 2020 Entrepreneurial Excellence (E-Day) winners will be recognized at live event Nov. 12 - October 20, 2020
- Group launches online webinar series for construction sector - October 19, 2020