Pamela Whitten takes over as Indiana University president July 1 • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
Pamela Whitten

Pamela Whitten takes over as Indiana University president July 1

Buy Us A Coffee
Pamela Whitten
Pamela Whitten

Indiana University has found its next leader to take over for the retiring Michael McRobbie.

Pamela Whitten, president of Kennesaw State University in Georgia, was selected by the college to serve as its 19th president. Whitten, who will be the first woman to serve as IU’s president, takes over July 1.

“Indiana University is one of our nation's finest public research universities, with a rich history, wonderful traditions and a worldwide reputation for excellence,” Whitten said. “This is an especially exciting time as IU builds upon its 200 years of success, strengthening its mission of delivering outstanding education and innovative research.”

Whitten said she is honored to have been chosen for the role.

“I look forward to working with the exceptional faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends of IU to seize the opportunities and challenges ahead, creating a better future for all of those we serve,” she said.

IU Northwest Chancellor Ken Iwama said he looks forward to Whitten continuing IU’s tradition of strong leadership.

“On behalf of IU Northwest students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the entire IU Northwest community, I would like to extend my sincerest congratulations to Pamela Whitten, the new president of Indiana University,” Iwama said. “I look forward to her continuing the strong and steady leadership of President McRobbie, and ensuring that a world-class, life-transforming education remains affordable and accessible to all students, especially those from Northwest Indiana. Pamela, welcome to the IU family!”

IU officials said Whitten takes over for IU at a time of record-level research funding and philanthropic support.

“Pamela has distinguished herself as a passionate and accessible leader,” said Michael Mirro, chair of IU’s board of trustees. “Her student-centered approach and proven ability to harness diverse talent and secure vital resources will help IU continue on its strong trajectory.”

Whitten has a Ph.D. in communication studies from the University of Kansas, a Master of Arts in communication from the University of Kentucky and a Bachelor of Science in management from Tulane University.

She is an internationally recognized expert in the field of telemedicine. As part of her work in higher education, she additionally held leadership roles at University of Georgia and the University of Kansas Medical Center.

Whitten was appointed by the board of trustees following an extensive search. Faculty, staff and students across the university provided early input regarding the characteristics and experiences most desired in IU’s next leader.

“Pamela emerged as a clear choice among a strong group of candidates,” said Melanie Walker, trustee and search committee chair. “She is an engaging and collaborative leader who will bring focused passion to the presidential role.”

Author

Scroll to Top