CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest Indiana steps down • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
Ryan Smiley

CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest Indiana steps down

Buy Us A Coffee
Ryan Smiley

The board of directors for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest Indiana is looking for a new CEO to lead the merged organization.

Effective Dec. 5, Ryan Smiley stepped down from his leadership role after more than 10 years with the Boys & Girls Clubs. Former board member Larry Moore will serve as interim CEO until a replacement is hired.

“While it is never easy leaving a strong organization, amazing relationships and a successful career, I am profoundly grateful for the opportunity and impact I’ve made on achieving the incredible mission of this organization,” Smiley wrote on his LinkedIn profile.

The board credits Smiley with the organization's success during the past 10 years, particularly the merger between the Northwest Indiana and Porter County clubs in 2018 and the opening of a $9 million “state-of-the-art facility in Valparaiso” this year.

Smiley said the organization's budget went from less than $3 million to almost $11 million since his arrival. According to its 2021 annual report, the club earned more than $8.3 million and paid out $7.5 million. It provided 147,402 meals and snacks at its clubs. The organization supports 10 clubs.

Smiley also led the organization through the pandemic, making a push in May 2021 to reconnect with the kids who stopped coming during the shutdown.

“We thank him for his leadership over the past several years and offer him our full support as he dedicates himself to his health and family,” the board said in a statement.

Smiley also is proud that the last four Indiana state Youth of the Year winners came from the Northwest Indiana club. Jamie Cruz from the Lake Station Club earned the title in 2022.

“While this decision wasn’t easy, I’m truly excited about what’s next,” Smiley said.

The board also is confident that the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest Indiana will continue its forward motion, and that all programs will continue as normal.

Smiley said in a previous article that the club originally launched in 1954 as the Boys & Girls Club in Gary.

Author

Scroll to Top