Stuck in the Past • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine

Stuck in the Past

Buy Us A Coffee

It's time to take a smarter approach with Indiana marijuana laws.

by State Senator Karen Tallian (D-Portage)

The young woman called my law office, tearfully pouring out her story. As an 18-year-old at a graduation party, she had been arrested and charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana. She was booked and made bond, pleaded guilty, went through substance abuse evaluation, did community service, paid a fine and went through probation for a year. Then she went to college, obtaining her teaching degree without further mishap. She was assigned to a local school for student teaching but was soon confronted by the superintendent. Waving her “criminal history” before her, he declared that she would never teach in his school and that she should look for a new career.

This story, like countless others, is the reason why I have been adamant on reforming the marijuana laws in Indiana. As an attorney, I have witnessed it many times: jeopardized futures, branded with a criminal record that may follow them for years. Even during Prohibition–which we all know did not work–it was never illegal to possess alcohol, only to sell it.

Many states have seen the benefits of adjusting their policies on marijuana. Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana for recreational use, and have seen millions in additional tax revenue generated as a result. Twenty states, including our neighboring state of Illinois, have passed laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat a variety of medical conditions like cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. Additionally, 15 states and the District of Columbia have made the decision to be pragmatic and decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana to cut down on the monetary and social costs of enforcing, prosecuting and sentencing low-level marijuana offenders.

Here in Indiana, I have tried for years to have our state marijuana policies studied, and ultimately adjusted, to take a smarter approach to those who commit minor offenses. My proposals received only one committee hearing. Even then, no vote was taken to move the proposal forward.

This issue is about taking a small and much-needed step forward for Indiana, because our policies are clearly stuck in the past. In Indiana, possession of one joint is punishable by up to one year of incarceration and up to a $5,000 fine, and the penalties only go up from there. There is also a real racial disparity, as African-Americans are 3.4 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession despite nearly equal usage rates between African-Americans and Caucasians. 88 percent of marijuana arrests are for simple possession. Yet, marijuana arrests account for 57 percent of all drug arrests in a state where meth and heroin use have reached epidemic levels.

The fact is, every year Indiana spends countless tax dollars arresting and sentencing our citizens for what other states have deemed permissible. As a state we are saying it is acceptable to lock up minorities and young people at alarming rates for something that is legal for them to do on vacation in Denver.

For context, there were 18,455 marijuana arrests in Indiana in 2006, accounting for 6.22 percent of all arrests that year. The total costs of the criminal justice system including policing, judicial and legal services, and corrections totaled $2.39 billion. Consequently, using a percentage method of estimation, marijuana arrests cost Indiana $148.81 million in 2006.

Do these policies seem fiscally prudent for a state that has some of the harshest penalties for first-time marijuana offenders? I think not. Something must be done to address the real drug problem in Indiana and refocus our resources where they can do the most good.

Sen. Tallian represents Senate District 4 which encompasses portions of northern Porter County and Michigan, Coolspring and New Durham townships in LaPorte County. For more information on Sen. Tallian, her legislative agenda or other State Senate business call 800-382-9467 or visit www.IN.gov/s4.

Author

Scroll to Top