Thriving small businesses, representing a range of industries, and those working to create a healthy business climate in the Region, are among the honorees in the annual Entrepreneurial Excellence (E-Day) Awards.
“This year we are celebrating everything from a young journalist to a long-time family-owned bakery,” said Lorri Feldt, regional director for the Northwest Indiana Small Business Development Center, which presents the awards. “No matter where they are in the entrepreneurial spectrum, our honorees all have a passion for what they do and are a true inspiration.”
Honorees will be recognized at the 28th E-Day luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 14 at Avalon Manor, 3550 E. Lincoln Hwy in Hobart.
The 2019 honorees include:
- Small Business Person of the Year: Patti Komara, Patti’s All-American, Dyer
- Entrepreneurial Success: Dawn McIver, MicroWorks Inc., Crown Point
- Emerging Business of the Year: Nan Wellman, Outstanding Tradeshow Exhibit Services, North Judson
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year: Justin Kiel, Kiel Media, LaCrosse
- Family-Owned Business of the Year: Fingerhut family, Fingerhut Bakery, North Judson, Knox, Bass Lake locations
- Women-Owned Business of the Year: Tammy Wendland, Valpo Ventures dba Plato’s Closet, Valparaiso
- Minority-Owned Business of the Year: Moe Musleh, Anytime Fitness, various locations
- Small Business Advocate of the Year: Clarence Hulse, Economic Development Corporation Michigan City, Michigan City
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Dean Sangalis, Dean Sangalis & Associates, Northwestern Mutual Insurance agency, Merrillville
Additional information is available on the Northwest ISBDC website or by calling (219) 644-3513 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.