Miller Bakery Cafe reopens in Gary • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine

Miller Bakery Cafe reopens in Gary

Buy Us A Coffee

GARY – Chicago restaurant management veteran Jack Strode and family have reopened the Miller Bakery Café. Strode has managed iconic Chicago restaurants including Smith and Wollensky, Rosebud Prime and the Cheesecake Factory. He is also the third generation of his family to grow up along the shores of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Strode saw a unique opportunity to bring the historic Miller Bakery back to life when it fell into foreclosure.

“This is a labor of love for us,” said Strode. “My family has generational ties to the South Shore. This business is an opportunity to provide a beautiful dining experience in the historic Miller Bakery. We’re very fortunate to have Cheryl Bernacchi as our Executive Chef.  Her food is receiving rave reviews, and we’re committed to complimenting her menu with excellent service.”

Bernacchi is a Harbor Country chef with a reputation for combining the best and freshest ingredients with culinary traditions that influence her style of “Upscale American Comfort Food”.  She has worked in all aspects of the restaurant industry including Owner and Executive Chef of her restaurant Sautee in La Porte.

“I look forward to creating dishes that will change with the seasons, and always have a few surprises as well as comforting favorites.  I’d like our guests to have a one of a kind experience that will become the trademark of Miller Bakery Café,” Bernacchi said.

Miller Bakery Café is at 555 S. Lake Street in Gary. For reservations or information, call 219-427-1446.

Author

Scroll to Top