Making a Difference: Franciscan awards two Maria Petti Memorial Scholarships to nursing students • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
Franciscan scholarship

Making a Difference: Franciscan awards two Maria Petti Memorial Scholarships to nursing students

Buy Us A Coffee
Franciscan scholarship
Jordan Parker, left, and Isabella Portugal hold the Maria Petti Scholarship plaque that now includes their names. (Photo submitted by Franciscan Health)

Two nursing students will receive some help with their college expenses through Franciscan Health’s Maria Petti Memorial Scholarship fund.

The scholarship, which is available to Porter and LaPorte County students seeking a career in the surgical field, provides awards up to $5,000. The latest recipients are Isabella Portugal, a junior nursing student at Valparaiso University, and Jordan Parker, who is in her final semester at Indiana University Northwest.

Portugal wants to be a surgical nurse.

“My dream is to work in the OR, in a post-anesthesia care unit,” she said. “I actually have my first experience in it this semester. I’m really excited, really grateful.”

Parker said the scholarship will help her pay for her final semester without debt.

“I’m super excited that I received a surgical scholarship to get my foot in the door,” she said.

The Maria Petti Memorial Scholarship was established as a living memorial to Maria Petti, Franciscan Health Michigan City peri-operative director. She inspired many students she mentored during her 35 years at the hospital.

Author

Scroll to Top