Ivy Tech taps Notre Dame director for next chancellor at South Bend/Elkhart campus • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
David Balkin

Ivy Tech taps Notre Dame director for next chancellor at South Bend/Elkhart campus

Buy Us A Coffee
David Balkin
David Balkin

Ivy Tech Community College named Notre Dame executive David Balkin new chancellor for its South Bend/Elkhart campus.

He takes over Sept. 3 and replaces Thomas Coley who retired in May.

Balkin has been with the University of Notre Dame since 2014 and serves as associate director, regional development for San Francisco and Silicon Valley at Notre Dame. He has three degrees from the college.

Balkin brings more than 30 years of experience in engineering, management and executive leadership to Ivy Tech.

“I look forward to applying my experiences in both industry and academia in support of Ivy Tech Community College’s strategic plan and the role it serves in Indiana,” Balkin said. “I will be focused on the mission to serve the people of our communities through accessible and affordable world-class education, and adaptive learning and empowering our students to achieve their career and transfer aspirations.”

Sue Ellsperman, Ivy Tech Community College president, said Balkin’s experience will be helpful as the college works to meet the needs of students and the community.

“There is much intentional work to align programs, develop youth apprenticeships, and ensure our graduates have workforce skills and credentials that support their and the region’s prosperity,” she said. “I am confident Dr. Balkin will effectively lead, align and accelerate these efforts on our campus and partner with industry, education, and communities.”

The Ivy Tech South Bend/Elkhart campus has two main building locations, one in South Bend and the other in Elkhart. The campus serves St. Joseph, Marshall and Elkhart counties and annually enrolls 5,500 students on campus and serves an additional 1,000 students in dual-credit programs in local high schools.

Balkin has a Ph.D. in philosophy in materials science and engineering, and masters and bachelor of science degrees in metallurgical engineering and materials science, all from the University of Notre Dame.

Author

Scroll to Top