Former East Chicago schools superintendent named new interim emergency manager for Gary Community School Corp. • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
Generic Education

Former East Chicago schools superintendent named new interim emergency manager for Gary Community School Corp.

Buy Us A Coffee
Paige McNulty
Paige McNulty

The former superintendent of School City of East Chicago is the new interim emergency manager for the Gary Community School Corp.

Paige McNulty, who resigned from the East Chicago superintendent’s post in August 2019, will take over the role from Peter Morikis, who has been Gary school’s interim emergency manager for nearly a year and a half, according to a Feb. 25 statement from the Gary school district.

“I was brought into this role to complete phase 1 of the turnaround plan which included assessing and evaluating the district’s academic and financial needs,” Morikis said. “We have made significant strides in stabilizing these areas, and now the focus becomes ending GCSC’s status as a distressed unit.”

McNulty began working with the Gary school district in fall 2019 through an assignment from the Indiana Department of Education. She focused on improving operations of the district’s federal programs department, implementing procedures and greater oversight of grants to ensure compliance with federal guidelines.

“After completing a successful assignment with federal programs, I am honored to accept the role of interim emergency manager and continue the great work that’s underway in Gary,” McNulty said. “I am fully focused on moving the Gary schools back to a self-sustaining district. It’s what we all want.”

Morikis will assist McNulty with the transition into the role as well as continue working on other special projects for Gary schools. A series of forums will be held at dates to be determined for the community to meet McNulty and learn more about her immediate goals for Gary schools.

Author

Scroll to Top