A marketing campaign to encourage consumers to get out and spend during a recession has evolved into a national movement.
About a year into the last recession, financial giant American Express in 2010 launched Small Business Saturday to motivate people to get out and shop and support their local businesses during the holiday season. The idea quickly caught on and has evolved into the annual Shop Small event led by business and community organizations, who are encouraging holiday gift shoppers to turn off their computers and put down their mobile devices and instead patron the many locally owned and operated shops for gifts.
Small Business Saturday traditionally is the Saturday following Thanksgiving Day. This year it’s Saturday, Nov. 30.
There is no shortage of shopping options across Northwest and North Central Indiana. The Visit South Bend Mishawaka and South Shore CVA websites list a variety of special events on Small Business Saturday.
- Downtown South Bend Inc. is offering an assortment of specials, giveaways and contests. Downtown South Bend has more than 40 shops, 50 restaurants and 20 service, art and entertainment venues.
- Valparaiso is hosting Support the Makers: Artisan Makers. The second annual event from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. will be at the Aftermath Cidery and Winery, 15 N. Washington St.
- Crown Point is hosting the Winter Market at Bulldog Park, 183 S. West St. from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Americans are supporting small businesses.
According to American Express, cumulative spending on Small Business Saturday has reached $103 billion since the event began in 2010.
It’s also estimated that 67 cents of every dollar spent at a local small business stays in the community, compared to 43 cents of that same dollar spent a large business or major retailer.
Latest posts by Larry Avila (see all)
- Deadline Feb. 28 for Indiana Governor’s Fellowship program - February 21, 2020
- Several Region and North Central Indiana businesses named among Best Places to Work for in 2020 - February 21, 2020
- South Bend Regional Chamber event connects internship seekers, job hunters with employers - February 20, 2020