The Mascot Hall of Fame and Museum in Whiting is one of 20 new or recently opened museums in the running for USA Today’s 2020 10Best Readers’ Choice travel awards for Best New Museum.
Representatives for the Mascot Hall of Fame said editors for the USA Today contest learned of the hall of fame through recent news coverage and shared experiences by patrons and nominated the site.
Information on the contest’s website says the other nominees represent a range of destinations from avant-garde art galleries to colorful children’s museums. The nominees represent sites that have opened the past two years.
Nearly all nominees are U.S. based except for one Canadian entry.
Voting ends Feb. 17. Votes can be cast once a day at USA Today’s 10Best site.
Winners will be announced Feb. 28.
Other nominees include:
- Bell Museum, St. Paul, Minn.
- Carolina Music Museum, Greenville, S.C.
- Chico Children’s Museum, Chico, Calif.
- Cook Museum of Natural Science, Decatur, Ala.
- Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum, Dallas
- Glenstone, Potomac, Md.
- Hood Museum of Art, Hanover, N.H.
- Imagine Museum, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Institute for Contemporary Art, Richmond, Va.
- Louisiana Children’s Museum, New Orleans
- Museum at the Gateway Arch, St. Louis
- National Comedy Center, Jamestown, N.Y.
- National Nordic Museum, Seattle
- National Veterans Memorial and Museum, Columbus, Ohio
- Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Poster House, New York
- Royal Alberta Museum, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Statue of Liberty Museum, New York
- Stewart Cultural Center and Museum, Carson City, Nev.
Latest posts by Larry Avila (see all)
- Several Region and North Central Indiana businesses named among Best Places to Work for in 2020 - February 21, 2020
- South Bend Regional Chamber event connects internship seekers, job hunters with employers - February 20, 2020
- Making a Difference: Bowling fundraiser generates nearly $19,000 for Catherine McAuley Clinic in Hammond - February 20, 2020