Lakeshore Public Media Names New Membership Manager
Northwest Indiana Business News Logo

Lakeshore Public Media Names New Membership Manager

Buy Us A Coffee

Northwest Indiana Business News LogoLakeshore Public Media, provider of the Region’s local PBS and NPR stations – Lakeshore PBS and Lakeshore Public Radio 89.1 FM – announced Carl Kurek as the organization’s new membership manager. He will lead Lakeshore’s efforts to increase membership retention while strengthening their efforts to acquire new members.

Kurek has a passion for community advocacy and public service, which has led him to become involved with numerous nonprofits over the years. He is an active member with several community boards, including: the Communication & Creative Arts Advisory Board at Purdue University Northwest (PNW), the Public Relations Alumni Advisory Board at PNW, Guardians of the Green Mile rescue group, the Portage Economic Development Corporation, and the Portage Township Education Foundation.

“I truly enjoy being involved with organizations that make a difference in the community, so I’m excited about the opportunity to have a career doing so as part of the team here at Lakeshore Public Media,” Kurek said.

A Northwest Indiana native, Kurek grew up in Lake Station and now lives in Portage with his wife Briana, their son Bradley and their three dogs. He attended River Forest High School and went on to graduate from PNW – Hammond with a degree in communication.

“Like many people, I grew up watching shows like ‘Sesame Street,’ ‘Mister Rogers Neighborhood,’ and ‘Bill Nye the Science Guy’ on PBS,” Kurek recalled. “Now my son is growing up watching PBS Kids programs while I try to catch up on episodes of ‘NOVA’ and ‘FRONTLINE,’ so it’s really come full circle for me.”

Lakeshore PBS first took to the airwaves in 1987 as WYIN Channel 56. Over the last 30 years, the station has continued its mission of enriching the lives of residents in Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland through lifelong learning, the celebration of human diversity, and engagement in civic concerns.

Lakeshore Public Radio 89.1 FM debuted in 2009 bringing Region residents the best of NPR programming along with in-depth local and world news, talk, music, traffic, and weather. The station has recently been named a finalist in 5 categories for the 2017 Indiana Associated Press Broadcasters Association (APBA) Contest.

Author

Scroll to Top