Best of the Best • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine

Best of the Best

Buy Us A Coffee

The region's top CEOs and business leaders.

by Jacqueline von Ogden

Look up the word “lead” in a dictionary or using Google and you'll get what seems like endless results. Some of the definitions include “showing the way,” “guiding,” “directing activities,” “serving as a route,” “inspiring conduct” and “to be a channel or conduit for.”

In this issue we are featuring the region's leading CEOs, chosen by you, our readers. Of those nominated, we chose 11 finalists, and from those, the five leaders featured below. These individuals not only inspire, but also lead the way for Northwest Indiana.

HEALTH CARE

Gene Diamond
Franciscan Alliance Northern Region

Overseeing five hospitals–Franciscan St. Margaret Health (Hammond and Dyer), Franciscan Healthcare (Munster), Franciscan St. Anthony Health (Crown Point) and Franciscan St. Anthony Health (Michigan City)–Gene Diamond, regional CEO of Franciscan Alliance, has not only watched a decade of change, but has also inspired the change and has been at the helm. But Diamond, celebrating his 10th year with Franciscan Alliance, remains humble and is the first to share the credit for growth and change.

“Being a leader of a major organization requires a lot of folks who make the sacrifice for the organization,” he says. “Fortunately, we have great folks who are committed and make that sacrifice. In fact, what makes this organization work is the people, and they think and act in accordance with our mission. That is our success.”

NWIBQ-Winter14-12

Diamond, who comes from a large family of healthcare professionals, notes his comfort level within the health-care industry: “My father is a physician, and of my 12 siblings, eight are involved in the health-care profession.” Changes have occurred throughout Diamond's career, but he credits parenthood with changing him for the better. “Fatherhood changed me profoundly. I feel an incredible bond with each of my children. Being a father has made me a better man, executive and human being.”

Nominator Calvin Bellamy of Krieg DeVault sums up Gene's disposition. “While overseeing thousands of employees, including hundreds of employed physicians, Gene always has a cheerful and positive attitude. If I were to sum Gene up in one word, it would be ‘commitment.' Commitment to quality health care, to ethical business practices and high moral standards in the tradition of Saint Francis.”

MANUFACTURING

Bipin Doshi
Schafer Gear Works

When asked what it takes to be an effective leader, Bipin Doshi notes several aspects. “You need a good team, and you need to be able to direct that team,” says Doshi, who leads the South Bend producer of high-precision, custom-engineered gears and machined parts. “You also must have some sort of vision, and be able to jump into different opportunities.”

NWIBQ-Winter14-11

Doshi has owned Schafer since 1988. He credits the popular book How to Win Friends and Influence People with teaching him empathy and sensitivity, but also allowing him to keep a business sense. Doshi hopes others are privileged enough to experience strong leadership through life, as he did. “I was fortunate to have and recognize good bosses early on.”

Restructured as Schafer Industries in 2013 after the acquisition of a division from Dana Corp., the organization is a diversified supplier to a variety of markets including leisure vehicles, material handling and automotive. Doshi holds a master of science degree in chemical engineering from the University of Missouri and is a member of the Society of Chemical Engineers. A former board chairman of the American Gear Manufacturers Association, Doshi is the recipient of the organization's lifetime achievement award, and is also active in his community, serving on multiple corporate and non-profit boards. “We have been very fortunate to know and work with Bipin for almost two decades,” says Thom Villing, nominator and president of Villing & Co., a marketing communications firm in South Bend. “He has not only been a driving force in the gear manufacturing industry but in our local community as well. He richly deserves this honor.”

EDUCATION

Thomas L. Keon
Purdue University Calumet

Chancellor Thomas Keon of Purdue University Calumet believes Indiana's higher education institutions are seeing a significant amount of change, and he is glad to help implement that change.

NWIBQ-Winter14-13

An accomplished educator whose leadership offers a thoughtful, farsighted business perspective, Keon has addressed challenging matters in a visionary manner. He has championed a Purdue University Calumet that has much to offer Northwest Indiana's students, communities and businesses. Keon has been leading Purdue Calumet since 2012, and though many of changes take time to generate results, he is positioning the Hammond university for a brighter future. Keon says life experiences from his youth have helped him relate to many of the students at Purdue Calumet. “My parents divorced when I was 3, and my mother died when I was 10. As an 11-year-old faced with activities that were more adult-like, I had to learn to care for myself and live independently,” Keon says. “It gives me a richer understanding for some of the communities here in Northwest Indiana.”

Says nominator Wes Lukoshus, assistant vice chancellor for advancement/university relations, “Dr. Keon is an accomplished higher-education leader who thinks like a successful business person, while articulating a thoughtful, defined vision. His leadership embraces a nurturing university environment of student-centeredness, rich in opportunities to learn through engagement and discovery.”

When asked about leading or managing, Keon sums it up by describing a past working relationship. “I was working for a person in the past, for a good five or six years. The experience of working with this individual allowed me to focus and think through moving forward. That is something I have brought with me and changed me for the better.”

FINANCIAL/BANKING

Mike Schrage
Centier Bank

Mike Schrage, president and CEO of Centier Bank, notes the many types and styles of leadership in community banking. “Those who complement themselves surround themselves with those with like values. That differentiates leaders.” Schrage, who admits to being tested over several business cycles–both up and down–believes the ebb and flow of these cycles have made him a stronger person. “I think many people might think I ‘inherited this position,' but that is not how it works. In our organization you cannot just inherit a position, you have to earn it.”

Schrage is now in his 42nd year with Centier, and during his four decades of service, he has committed his life to public service as a visionary business leader, selfless humanitarian and community servant. A strong advocate for community preservation and enrichment, he has inspired a legacy of service. Schrage credits his wife with changing him for the better. “My wife is a complement to me. We're not alike in all ways. She is the softer side of things. I also have others in the business who complement me with the softer side of leadership.”

Says nominator Dian Reyome, Centier's financial capabilities coordinator, “he truly cares about Northern Indiana and understands that community involvement and partnerships are the necessary tools to improve the quality of life for everyone. The essentials of excellence he has created for the bank associates to extend to each other, our clients and our neighbors are evidence of that.”

NONPROFIT

Beth Wrobel
HealthLinc

Beth Wrobel didn't begin her career with HealthLinc, which provides health care and related services. In fact, many in Northwest Indiana may not realize her original collegiate study was in mechanical engineering. Though she does not work in that field, Wrobel's thought process reflects her engineering background. “My job is to re-engineer health care.”

Wrobel has spent the last 12 years doing just that. After working more than 20 years for NIPSCO, she changed her path in life, leaving the corporate world to care for her ailing father. “Talk about life-changing. I took care of my dad until his passing. What that gave and taught me–my empathy has grown, especially for those not having insurance. It was eye-opening.”

NWIBQ-Winter14-15

Wrobel has developed HealthLinc from a one-location, small organization (formerly called Hilltop Community Health Center) with a budget of less than $350,000 in 2001 to a five-location organization with a $20 million budget. “Beth brings an unusual background to a health-care administration, engineering, but it has surely paid off. She has developed systems of management and care that have allowed a local neighborhood health program to expand to a very successful regional level spanning all of Northwest Indiana,” says nominator John Johnson, M.D.

Wrobel believes the some of the key factors in being a good leader are finding good mentors and understanding your strengths and weaknesses. “It comes down to seeing areas you might not be as strong in, and finding someone who complements you on your leadership team,” she says. “Really, it's about getting the right people on the bus.”

FINALISTS

Northwest Indiana Business Quarterly would like to congratulate all finalists for our Top CEOs/Business Leaders recognition. We also want to thank our editorial committee and community, civic and business leaders for their assistance with the selection process. And lastly, a big thank you to you, our readers, for sharing nominations. The runner-up finalists are:

* Ed Yarish, Rittenhouse Senior Living
* Craig Dwight, Horizon Bank
* Jonathan Nalli, Porter Regional Hospital
* Speros Batistatos, South Shore Convention & Visitors Authority
* David Bochnowski, Peoples Bank
* Tony Lux, Merrillville Community Schools.

Author

Scroll to Top