MERRILLVILLE – Colder temperatures and increased usage means higher bills for customers at this time of year. While NIPSCO is the lowest-cost natural gas provider in Indiana, NIPSCO reminds customers of options and tips to aid in their home’s energy efficiency.
Energy and Money-Saving Programs
NIPSCO customers have access to a wide range of energy efficiency programs and rebates designed to help manage energy usage, which often leads to bill savings. Some of these programs include:
• Rebates on energy efficient heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment
• Home energy assessments
• Income-qualified home weatherizations
• Refrigerator and freezer recycling incentives
• Discounts on LED light bulbs
A full list of programs and tips to help manage energy use can be found at NIPSCO.com/SaveEnergy.
Winter Energy Saving Tips
There are a number of low-to-no cost options for customers to save each month, including:
• The biggest way to save is to run your furnace less often. Set your thermostat two to four degrees below what you’re used to. Wear heavier clothing to keep warm. Change your air filters often throughout the season, as dirty filters block air, forcing your furnace to work harder.
• Let the sun in. Utilize the sun’s energy to heat your home simply by opening drapes on windows where the sun shines directly into a room. But when the sun goes down, be sure to close your drapes so they can do the job of insulating.
• Seal up leaks. Use caulk to seal leaks around windows and doors. Look for places where you have pipes, vents or electrical conduits that go through the wall, ceiling or floor. If you find a small gap, seal it up.
• Don’t block registers or radiators with draperies, curtains, furniture or anything else. Let the air flow freely.
• Your water heater is one of the biggest energy users in your home, so use a shower timer. Quick showers usually require less hot water than taking a bath. You can also add a showerhead restrictor, so you waste less.
Billing and Payment Options
Customers who are experiencing difficulties paying their bill are encouraged to call NIPSCO’s 24-hour Customer Care Center as soon as possible to determine what options might be available to offer help. Some of those solutions include:
• Payment Assistance: Based on income levels, customers may qualify to receive state and federal utility assistance dollars as well as support funds from separate NIPSCO programs by visiting their local community action agency.
• BudgetPlan: A free service to all NIPSCO customers to help manage their monthly energy bills by spreading out gas costs over an entire year.
• Payment Arrangements: Allows customers to make an initial payment within four days of the agreement, then spread the remaining unpaid balance over three months, plus current bills as they are due.
• DependaBill and Price Protection Service (PPS): DependaBill provides a fixed monthly bill with no annual reconciliation and PPS allows customers to fix or cap their per-unit cost of natural gas.
• NIPSCO Choice Program: Allows customers the opportunity to choose their natural gas supplier.
For more information on billing options and payment assistance, visit NIPSCO.com/BillingPayment.
Latest posts by Janice Dixon-Fitzwater (see all)
- St Mary Medical Center Promotes Colorectal Cancer Awareness - March 20, 2018
- PNW Welcomes Prospective Students at Open Houses - March 19, 2018
- VPA Presents Annual St. Patricks Day Parade - March 16, 2018