MERRILLVILLE — Thirteen Northern Indiana organizations will receive grants from NIPSCO—totaling $50,000—to help fund assorted safety and educational projects and programs.
NIPSCO earlier this year announced its new Public Safety Education and Training Action Grant, which it established to provide funding for community and youth public safety education programming and training for first responders.
“This was the first year we offered this grant and we were impressed to see the number of applications we received,” said Karen McCoy, public affairs manager for NIPSCO. “Public safety, education and training, in all forms, are very important to us at NIPSCO and we’re excited to be able to assist these organizations in their mission.”
NIPSCO did not provide a breakdown of each grant awarded but noted each amount varied and ranged up to $5,000.
This year’s recipients include:
- Valparaiso Police Department, Project Safe Pathways
- City of Hammond Fire Department, Fire Prevention Education
- La Porte County Juvenile Serve Center Task Force, PACER’s National Bullying Prevention
- Boys & Girls Club of Fort Wayne Indiana, Blue Bucket Brigade (BBB)
- Andrean High School, ALICE (Alert Lockdown Inform Counter Evacuate) Training
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of NE Indiana, EMPOWER Sexual Abuse Prevention Training
- Valparaiso Fire Department, Active Shooter Awareness for Educators
- District 2 Hospital Preparedness Planning Committee, Stop the Bleed Kit
- Portage Township DBA SW Central Fire Territory, Gas Detectors
- Kouts Volunteer Fire Department, Fire Prevention Program
- Center Township Volunteer Fire Department of La Porte, Fire Prevention Materials
- Michigan City High School Grant Acceptance Fund, Fire Science Fire Prevention
- Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Department, Emergency Responder Training
Latest posts by Larry Avila (see all)
- Community Healthcare System welcomes new physicians - September 19, 2018
- Elkhart-based Thor Industries becomes global RV-making giant with $2.4 billion purchase of German firm Erwin Hymer Group - September 19, 2018
- Daifuku Wynright of Illinois bringing more than 580 jobs to new $26 million facility in Hobart’s NorthWind Crossings business park - September 18, 2018