Michigan City annexes more than 400 acres of high-profile land near interstate for future development • Northwest Indiana Business Magazine
Michigan City Economic Development

Michigan City annexes more than 400 acres of high-profile land near interstate for future development

Buy Us A Coffee
Michigan City Land Grab
This map shows the area of Michigan City community and economic development leaders hope to attract new businesses. (Rendering provided by the Economic Development Corp. Michigan City, Ind.)

Roughly 426 acres of land in northwestern La Porte County now is a part of Michigan City and available for development.

The parcels of property within the newly-annexed area – between Menke Road, I-94 and U.S. 20 are owned by Oehmstead Co., Green Acres, Pioneer Lumber, MHP 1, LLC, Illinois Indiana Development Co. and Cemetery Regents of Michigan City, Ind. All six organizations voluntarily petitioned the city for annexation to gain access to city services, including sewer and water, according to a statement from the Economic Development Corp. Michigan City, Ind.

City and economic development representatives say the property is best suited for manufacturing buyers including large distribution/warehouse/logistics businesses with nearby access to air transportation and rail service.

Michigan City Mayor Ron Meer said it is the city’s goal is to make Michigan City, and the newly annexed property, attractive and shovel ready for potential investors and developers.

“The city engaged in a friendly annexation of this property and plans to invest in the area with water and sewer infrastructure,” Meer said. “With its ideal location and proximity to rail spur, I-94 and I-90, I believe this property provides an excellent opportunity for a manufacturer or investor to utilize and develop. Ultimately, everything we have done here is the foundation on which economic and job growth can be built to benefit our community.”

Clarence Hulse, executive director of the Economic Development Corp. Michigan City, Ind., said, “it’s all about the location.”

There are additional sites available for retail, commercial, hotel and office space. Potential uses also include residential such as an executive style home subdivision and multi-family development.

For more information on the Michigan City area, visit www.edcmc.com.

Author

Scroll to Top