Applications for funding to help make the South Bend-Mishawaka area a tourist destination now are being accepted.
Applications for the 2019 Visit South Bend Mishawaka Tourism Capital Development Fund will be accepted through Jan. 4.
The fund, which is supported by the St. Joseph County Hotel-Motel Tax Board and Visit South Bend Mishawaka, has $400,000 available to benefit the advancement of St. Joseph County as a tourism destination. Many projects will receive funds to improve visitor experience while also providing assistance to boost tourism product development.
The tourism capital development fund is in its second year. Four projects received dollars in 2018:
- Byer’s Softball Park fifth field upgrades
- Potawatomi Zoo’s new front entrance pavilion
- South Bend Civic Theatre’s new outdoor performance venue
- South Bend Chocolate Museum/Dinosaur Museum
“Year one of the tourism capital development fund helped establish VSBM’s role in destination product development to assist us in promoting tourism and increasing visitation to the area,” said Rob DeCleene, executive director of Visit South Bend Mishawaka. “These four recipients are all strategic partners in our effort to attract individual travelers and group events to our communities. I’m excited to see what projects apply for 2019 funds.”
Funds are intended for capital investment projects. Applications seeking support for programs or fundraising assistance will not be considered.
Applications being considered for funds will be notified by Feb. 15. Finalists will be asked to participate in a Q&A session with the review committee.
Visit visitsouthbend.com/basic-info to review guidelines and to out an application.
Latest posts by Larry Avila (see all)
- Report shows 540,000 Hoosiers working in advanced manufacturing; highest level since 2001 - November 15, 2018
- NIPSCO names new VP of communications, external affairs - November 14, 2018
- Eastport Centre Business Park companies raise more than $22,000 to support United Way of Porter County programs - November 14, 2018